I wanted to make a 'public statement' if you will, about my sudden departure from the long-term position concerning sandwiches. Yes, I have worked for a certain sub-making company for over two years; but not two years continuously, on and off whilst I was serving a mission and then going to school in another state.
While making sandwiches is not my dream job, it was fun and I tried to make the most of it and enjoy the time I spent there, more or less a third of my day (a third of 24 hours, that is); as well as get to know my co-workers and the customers I served.
I have learned so much from this institution - I don't know if I should call it that, but that's what I'm going to say - not just about how to best cut the bread, or how to make the meat and cheese look delectable on the bread, or how best to dress a sandwich, or the quickest method for wrapping a six-inch. No, not even how to change the garbage in an orderly and efficient way, or the ins and outs for food prep and frozen stock. I learned more than how to close this sandwich-making store, including the register, counting and bagging bread, cleaning the entire store, packing up and putting away the contents of the bain, sweeping and mopping, turning off that three thousand dollar turbochef tornado oven, taking the pop nozzles off (though that was hard at first, among almost everything). shutting the place down and locking doors, checking one last time that we were good to go.
I learned more than just about how to run Subway - that's where my awesome sandwich-making skills come from; jealous, I know you are.
I learned how to be on time and even early to work and everywhere else for that matter. I learned how to work with others, even when we had such different perspectives and ideas of what things meant. I learned how to focus on work and really enjoy it, even the not-so-envied tasks.
I learned life skills and as always I saw how I can apply the simplest of things into my daily life. In short, I learned so much, more than I can possibly write on this one night post. And perhaps someday I will write a complete book of what I really learned at Subway; but until then, I just want to let you know what while it was a quick and unexpected departure, it was one that needed to be made, however cold and hurtful it may have seemed. Those were not my intentions, but sometimes in life we just have to cut things out of our lives. And welcome them in too, but that's for another story :)
Love from,
Megan
No comments:
Post a Comment